Onkyo TX-NR686 7.2 Channel THX Certified Network A/V Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR686 7.2 Channel THX Certified Network A/V Receiver
• THX® Certified Select™ theater reference sound
• Supports 5.2.2-channel Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X® playback
• 210 W per channel
• HDMI® 7 in (1 front) / Main Out, and Sub Out supporting 4K/60 Hz, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision™, BT.2020, and HDCP 2.2 pass-through
• Dynamic Audio Amplification with 4-ohm speaker-driving capability
• 384 kHz/32-bit DAC and VLSC™ filtering for superior clarity
• Supports Chromecast built-in and works with the Google Assistant
• Dual-band Wi-Fi®, DTS Play-Fi®, AirPlay, Amazon Music, Spotify® , TIDAL, Deezer, Pandora®, TuneIn• FlareConnect™ wireless multi-room audio
With high-current Dynamic Audio Amplification driving your surround system to THX Certified Select™ theater reference levels, you can transport your audience to the heart of the movie. DTS:X® and Dolby Atmos® soundtracks complement the latest in 4K HDR video via HDMI® pass-through supporting 4K/60p, Dolby Vision™, HDR10, HLG, and the BT.2020 color standard. Now with cross-compatible 3D audio upmixing solutions from Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X®, you can enjoy regular multichannel movies with spatially immersive sound. Cast music from mobiles to the receiver and other compatible systems in your home over Chromecast built-in, DTS Play-Fi®, or FlareConnect™ wireless multi-room platforms. AirPlay and Bluetooth® technology are also on board. Enjoy built-in streaming services as well Hi-Res Audio via network and USB, all with the dynamic and emotional sound only an Onkyo can deliver.
THX® Certified Select™ Reference Sound
THX Certified Select guarantees the high-volume sound experienced at a commercial theater in your home. To gain certification, amplifiers must pass severe THX bench-tests covering every aspect of audio performance. THX Certified Select components suit rooms where screen-to-seat viewing distance is about 10 feet and room volume around 2,000 cubic feet.
Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ with upmixing solutions
Object-based audio lets sounds play independently through any speaker, moving all around your audience so they feel 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks with natural conviction. DTS Neural:X® and Dolby Surround upmixing solutions find spatial cues in legacy multichannel soundtracks and upmix them for 3D audio playback through your object-audio-ready speaker system. Both solutions offer cross-compatible support for common movie soundtracks, such as Dolby® Digital 5.1, Dolby® TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio™, so you can enjoy more immersive 3D sound from your movie library as well as with supported video streaming services.
Chromecast built-in, now with the Google Assistant
Stream any music from your smartphone, laptop, or PC to the TX-NR686 with ease. Control playback with Chromecastenabled apps you know and love from your iPhone, iPad, Android™ phone or tablet, Mac® or Windows® laptop, or Chromebook™. If you have a speaker device featuring the Google Assistant, such as the Onkyo Smart Speaker G3, you can cue, play, and control music playback on your TX-NR686 by voice.
Ready for DTS Play-Fi® multi-room audio
DTS Play-Fi allows you to enjoy high-quality music from connected online services, networked media servers, and your device library over Wi-Fi® to any number of compatible products using the Onkyo Music Control App for iPad, iPhone, and Android smartphones/tablets. DTS Play-Fi can synchronize the music in every room. Each member of your family can use their own device to listen to their music in a room or group of rooms. DTS Play-Fi lets you structure a comprehensive multi-room ecosystem that satisfies virtually any need.
Supports 4K HDR, BT.2020, 4K/60 Hz, and HDCP 2.2
Six rear HDMI® inputs support pass-through of 4K HDR in HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision™ formats. They handle the BT.2020 4K Video Standard, 4K/60 Hz playback, and HDCP 2.2 for premium content. Front HDMI connects video cameras or consoles, while rear Sub Out is ideal for connecting a projector.
AccuEQ & AccuReflex
AccuEQ conducts two measurements- one to set the level, distance and crossover for ALL speakers, including the subwoofer. Choose to include or bypass EQ measurement for front left and right speakers, and choose to automatically or manually set the EQ. Further, you can save your own manual EQ settings into three available presets.
AccuReflex technology aligns the phase of up-firing "height" speakers with the sound coming directly from your other speakers. Any delay is resolved so that everything arrives at your ears at the same time. The result is cohesive reproduction of object-based soundtracks.
Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 line-out
Powered Zone 2 speaker outputs let you send amplified audio sources, including network, S/PDIF, and analog, to a pair of speakers in another room. Line outputs can connect home theater sources to a separate hi-fi system. Manage playback distribution with Onkyo Controller.
Graphical User Interface with Easy Setup
With speakers and media players connected, plug in the AccuEQ mic and let the receiver GUI guide you through setup, from speaker calibration (including AccuReflex phase correction for Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers) through to network connection. The refined interface makes control simple and enjoyable.
Onkyo Controller app for easy multi-room management
Onkyo Controller app collects streaming services and network-attached audio into one intuitive interface. Control playback, navigate internet services, and distribute audio all over the home with ease.
Wi-Fi®, AirPlay, Spotify® and Bluetooth® wireless connectivity
Dual-band 5 GHz/2.4 GHz Wi-Fi assures stable connectivity so you can enjoy smooth streaming over AirPlay, the Spotify app, and the local network. Bluetooth technology also provides simple wireless streaming from music applications.
More streaming services and internet radio
Amazon Music, TIDAL, Deezer, Pandora®, and TuneIn are baked into the GUI, making it easy to select from music and radio programs with Onkyo Controller.
FlareConnect™ Wireless Multi-Room Audio
FlareConnect™ shares audio from network and external audio input sources between compatible components. Enjoy effortless multi-room playback of LP records, CDs, network music services, and more with supported components and speaker systems. Music selection, speaker grouping, and playback management across the home are built into the Onkyo Controller app.
384 kHz/32-bit Hi-Grade DAC
No matter what you're listening to, it will sound powerfully full, clean and clear. A premium-quality AK4458 digital-to-analog converter from Asahi Kasei implements unique low-distortion filtering technologies for clear sound, and unlocks the full potential of any audio format, including compressed, lossless, and hi-res audio (MP3, WMA, FLAC, WAV, OggVorbis, AAC, Apple Lossless, DSD 5.6 MHz, LPCM, and Dolby TrueHD).
Smooth Analog Signal
Onkyo developed Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry (VLSC) to reassemble the audio signal to its original form following processing. Unlike conventional filters, VLSC removes pulse noise generated in D/A conversion, allowing the sound wave to be reproduced with extremely high fidelity for a smooth analog signal.
Give life to sound with Dynamic Audio Amplification
High-current power is proven by an ability to drive four-ohm speaker loads, which test the toughest multichannel amplifier. Heaps of muscle means superior control for fast dynamics and high energy. Non-phase-shift amps present a detailed and cohesive audio image, while VLSC™ eliminates high-frequency distortion for ultimate clarity of sound.
Onkyo's dynamic audio amplification delivers massive power at 210 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 Channel Driven)/ 100 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven).
• HDMI terminals supporting HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision™, BT.2020, 4K/60 Hz pass-through, and HDCP 2.2
• 5.2.2-channel Dolby Atmos playback and Dolby Surround upmixing for audio formats including DTS® codecs
• DTS:X playback and DTS Neural:X® 3D upmixing supporting Dolby® formats
• AccuEQ Room Acoustic Calibration with AccuReflex phase alignment for Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers
• Supports Onkyo Controller app* for intuitive multi-room operation
• Stable 5 GHz/2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity
• Chromecast built-in wireless audio streaming technology that works with the Google Assistant
• AirPlay audio streaming from iTunes and iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
• Hi-Res Audio playback including DSD 5.6 MHz/2.8 MHz*, 192 kHz/24-bit FLAC*, WAV (RIFF)*, AIFF, ALAC*, and Dolby® TrueHD*
• Supports Amazon Music, Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, and Deezer music streaming services and TuneIn internet radio
• FlareConnect multi-room audio distribution to compatible components
• Powered Zone 2 speaker outputs and Zone 2 line-output with DAC supporting digital* and analog audio playback
• Bluetooth® wireless technology for mobiles, laptops, and PCs (Version 4.1 + LE, Profile: A2DP v1.2, AVRCP v1.3)
• Advanced Music Optimizer improves compressed digital audio quality, including Bluetooth audio
• Support for front L/R bi-amping in a 5.2-channel speaker layout
• 480i de-interlacing (480i to 480p) via HDMI for legacy video formats
• 210 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 channel driven); 100 W/Ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 channels driven, FTC)
• Dynamic Audio Amplification delivers thrilling multichannel and stereo performance
• High-current power drives large speakers with 4-ohm resistance
• H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) customized transformer
• VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry) high-frequency noise removal (for front L/R channels)
• Non-phase-shift amplification circuitry for clarity and detail
• Discrete output stage circuitry for low distortion
• Dolby Atmos and DTS:X reproduction (supports 5.2.2 channels)
• HDMI support for 4K/60 Hz, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, 3D, Audio Return Channel, DeepColor™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio™, DSD, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD), multichannel PCM, and CEC
• High-grade AKM (AK4458) 384 kHz/32-bit multichannel DAC
• PLL (Phase Locked Loop) jitter-cleaning technology for S/PDIF audio
• 32-bit Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
• Listening modes for gaming (Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG)
• Theater-Dimensional virtual surround function
• Direct Mode for audio reproduction close to original source quality
• Tone controls (bass/treble) for front L/R channels
• 7 HDMI inputs (1 front) and 2 outputs (1 Main Out, 1 Sub Out)
• Powered USB terminal (5 V, 1 A) for audio playback
• 2 composite video inputs and 2 component video inputs
• 3 digital audio inputs (2 optical and 1 coaxial)
• 6 analog audio inputs, 1 stereo 1/8 ̋ (3.5 mm) analog input (front)
• Phono input (MM) and equalizer for turntable connection
• 2 subwoofer pre-outs
• 1/4 ̋ (6.35 mm) headphone jack (front)
• Speaker setup mic input (front)
• Banana-plug-compatible speaker posts
• Crossover adjustment for each channel (40/50/60/70/80/90/100/120/150/180/200 Hz)
• A/V Sync Control (up to 500 ms in 5 ms steps at 48 kHz)
• Graphical User Interface with overlaid On-Screen Display via HDMI
• Quick Setup Guide via GUI and easy connection diagram on rear panel
• Large input selector buttons
• Economical HDMI pass-through and Network Standby functions
• IP control support for home automation systems
• 3-mode display dimmer (normal/dim/dimmer)
• 40 FM/AM random presets
• Simple remote control